FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do I need a referral to see a therapist at Protea Therapy?
Not at all. We welcome referrals from health and education professionals, but no referral is needed to see our therapists. Simply contact us to book an appointment.
What funding or rebates can I use for services at Protea Therapy?
The therapists at Protea Therapy can see:
- Children with self-managed NDIS funding
- Children with Medicare funding via the following plans:
- Chronic Disease Management Pathway (requires GP plan)
- Follow Up Allied Health Services for People of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Descent (requires GP plan)
- Helping Children with Autism/Better Start for Children with a Disability (requires paediatrician or psychiatrist plan)
- Children with private health insurance. Whether your insurance covers speech pathology will depend on your provider and level of cover. Please speak to your insurance provider to determine whether your cover includes speech pathology services.
What if I'm not eligible for any of the funding schemes listed above?
No problem! We also see private fee paying clients.
My child needs an autism assessment or other one-off assessment service (e.g. second opinion, diagnostic assessment, funding assessment.) Can you help?
We can provide one-off assessments where required. For autism assessment, this should be part of a coordinated assessment approach that also includes a paediatrician and psychologist.
Do you see children with...?
At Protea Therapy, we have experience working with children with a wide range of medical and developmental diagnoses.
We know that it is important to feel that your therapist has the experience and expertise to work with your child. You can rest assured that your therapist has the knowledge and skills to manage a range of communication and feeding problems.
Both therapists at Protea Therapy also have doctoral level research training, and use cutting-edge research evidence to ensure they have the knowledge they need to manage each client.
Are you trained in...?
The therapists at Protea Therapy are trained in a wide range of therapy programs, including, but not limited to:
Key Word Sign
Hanen (It Takes Two to Talk)
The Nuffield Dyspraxia Program
The Lidcombe Program
SOS Feeding Therapy
Ellyn Satter's Division of Responsibility
Strengths based training
AEIOU Systematic Approach to Pediatric Feeding
Behavioural InTEgrated with Speech (BITES) Feeding Therapy
We love attending professional development, and our list of postgraduate training is constantly growing.